Preparing For Your First Vein Appointment
If you’re one of the millions of Americans suffering with varicose veins, spider veins, or other conditions resulting from venous insufficiency, setting up an appointment with a vein specialist is the first step to finding relief.
It is perfectly normal to be nervous before seeing your doctor, but at Elmore Medical we strive to make your first visit (and every other visit) a stress-free experience.
What Can I Expect In My First Visit?
Your initial evaluation will be done by Mario H. Gonzalez, M.D., who is a Diplomate of the American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Medicine and also a Board Certified Surgeon.
Here’s what you can expect in your first visit to Elmore Medical:
- Your consultation visit will take about two hours. You will see a ten minute DVD that discusses the venous system and the treatment of varicose veins. You will have a thorough examination of your veins. Photographs may be taken since they are sometimes requested by the insurance companies.
- A test to check for abnormal flow in your veins will need to be performed during your consultation, especially in patients with bulging venous varicosities. This test is brief and painless and will be carefully explained to you.
- During this visit, the doctor and our team of specialists will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan. The plan for your treatment will be presented to you. This will include the anticipated number of visits, the sequence in which the veins will be treated, and an estimate of the cost to you.
What Can I Do to Prepare for My First Visit?
Before your consultation appointment, we will mail a new patient packet to you. You can also find the forms on our website. We ask patients to please fill out these forms and mail them back to us at least one week prior to your appointment to expedite the registration process. These forms include:
- Patient Consent, Assignment of Benefits and Acknowledgement Form: This includes your consent to treatment and assignment of insurance benefits and payment. It covers our general patient financial agreement and no show/cancellation policy as well.
- Patient Information Form: This form gathers your personal and insurance information for our records.
- Health Information Form: This captures your medical history and health information, including all medications and supplements you’re taking and any allergies you may have.
- Patient Privacy and HIPAA Protection Form: This explains our compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy regulations, and that our Notice of Privacy Practices is available for review . We also require your acknowledgement of certain authorizations and consents.
- Possible Insurance Requirements Prior to Treatment form: Some insurance companies are requiring that patients have a trial of conservative or alternative therapies, such as support stockings, exercise and leg elevation for a 3-6 month period before they will consider payment of recommended varicose vein treatments. This assesses your use of these therapies.
- Self Questionnaire: Many people complain of leg pain. We would like to find out how often these leg problems occur and to what extent they affect the everyday like of those who have them.
What Should I Do on the Day of My Appointment?
Your doctor will examine your legs and feet during your appointment. On the day of your appointment, wear loose fitting pants or a skirt or some piece of clothing that is easy to take off and put back on. We kindly ask that you have no lotion on your legs when you come in for your consultation and treatments. If you have lotion on your legs, it makes the ultrasound a more difficult process and may interfere with the ultrasound reading.
You’ll also need to bring a few documents for our records, including:
- Photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Military ID, etc.)
- Current insurance card(s)
- Referral slip from your Primary Care Physician (if required by your insurance)
Setting up your initial consultation appointment is an important part of finding relief from pain and unsightly veins. Elmore Medical Vein & Laser Treatment Center is the premier vein specialty medical practice in the Central Valley. Dr. Mario H. Gonzalez and his staff offer years of experience and medical expertise that you won’t find anywhere else. Contact us today to set up a consultation appointment. We look forward to seeing you soon!